Monday, November 18, 2013

Lacking a Proper Goodbye

Do you remember the day you stood in the fast food parking lot and yelled "Why can't you just go out and have fun anymore?"
The answer, we both knew, was the scary future in front of us. College years, and miles apart, and endless pressure to find the way forward, and most of all my starving mother.
I know we talked frequently after this moment in time. Letters and phone calls, before the prevalence of email.
I know you prayed for me, entreated me, yelled at me, loved me in your way.
Until neither of us could keep up with the emotions anymore and we just
Stopped.
In spite of all the things that came after my heart remembers this moment of sundering, in that fast food parking lot, when you yelled at me for crying on a Friday night double date.

I remember when I called to tell you my mother was going, almost gone, and broke the months long silence, hoping your voice would bring her a measure of peace.
Loose ends. That's what we had become.
It's what we have remained.
I never would have expected this outcome, but I have an enormous amount of patience for it.
We were all so young, and selfish, and lost.
Older now, I understand how often ends are left undone in this lifetime.
I still remember, though. I would like to ask if you remember, too.

No comments: